Monday, July 24, 2006

Reviewing A Year-In-The-Life

Details about my love life and career usually wouldn’t be uttered in the same sentence together. You know what they say…don’t bring your personal life to work. Well, over the past year I think I kinda did, and it turns out…I’m actually a better person for it. Who knew two entirely separate trains of thought could be so similar?!

It all started with my annual review form. Last week, as I was filling it out, I went back and checked out last year’s form. Something that my managers said I needed to work on a year ago was “confidence and leadership.” I was taken aback for a split second because one of the strongest areas on my current review form was just that…confident decision-making and team leadership. It’s clear that I’ve come a long way this year, but to fathom that I was ever that lacking in confidence is just hard to imagine now.

Then over this past weekend I was cooling down after a jog and was thinking about my most recent relationships. Before the German, there was the Republican. Now before you all get up in a tizzy over the fact that I dated across party lines, I’ll say this - he was just a good shag and that’s it. But the fact is I was a total pushover during that time in my life. I recall wanting to say many things to him (mainly about him being such a egotistical prick), but I never brought any of it up. I was completely chickenshit.

I found myself thinking about how things would be now if I ever ran into him again, especially after having gone through everything with the German. I had to laugh at my notion of what the meeting would be like. He would no longer have the definitive upper hand and his smooth, charming ways would be lost on me. In my daydream – he wouldn’t know left from right and my self-assurance would likely freak him out.

So here are two mini thoughts, seemingly secluded to two very different areas of my life. As I connected the dots from my job to men and back again, I had to ponder...
Has my career growth, ability to lead and make decisions had an impact on how I engage in personal relationships? Or have my relationships taught me life lessons and self-assurance that I’ve brought into work each day?

It’s likely a criss-crossing of the two…regardless I believe I hit a turning point somewhere in the year and didn’t even know it. My annual review is coming up and I’m looking forward to seeing what I’ll have to "work on" over the next year…given my recent revelation, it just might have a lot to do with how my personal life will pan out.

I’ve never been one to bring my work home with me, but I might have to start…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home