Monday, July 17, 2006

A Coastie Encounter

I spent the majority of my Sunday afternoon at a roof deck pool at a good friend of mine’s apartment building. A great perk to have on a ninety degree, sunny day! As we were lounging in our deck chairs, we had the privilege of sitting near a gaggle of girls that brought me back to the good ol’ college days when us Midwesterners would quietly sit back and enjoy the antics of a group we endearingly called “coasties.” These sun-goddess gals were of top coasty breeding…and you could cut the pretentiousness with a knife.

The term “coasty” has an actual
definition. I’ve been familiar with it since the day I walked onto my Big Ten campus. Back then they traveled in packs wearing Herve bags, black puffy North Face jackets, Tiffany’s sterling silver chain-link bracelets, and New Balance hiking shoes…circa 1999.

The pool deck on Sunday was a modern day equivalent with Pucci bikinis, oversized Dior sunglasses, sparkly tunics, fake tits and blonde highlights. Whether it’s 1999 or 2006, they’re all the same: 18-24 years old with an alternate sense of reality from the one I’m familiar with.

While I paged through my Elle magazine and questioned the upcoming fall fashion trends of ankle boots, plaid tartans and the return of grunge, my gal pal and I shared few snickers on the sly at the conversational topics of choice from this group. I guess I just can't relate to their lifestyle and it's my way of dealing with the difference, but still...in my opinion there is more to life than bottle service and mooching off of one's parents.


For the benefit of fellow eastern seaboard residents, I hope these costies take the ‘tudes down a notch and just chill out...isn't all the showiness exhausting anyway?!

4 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger erin said...

i've never heard that term before, but it totally makes sense....

i see those girls bopping around chicago, especially in lincoln park. but here they're just known as trixies.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Haha, love the wikipedia usage:)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i wish i had that pool in my apt building! :)

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Mummerina said...

Hey i came across your blog - you have a great style of writing.
The pic in your post is like a dream to me - I'm an Aussie who is DYING to move to NYC...that just looks gorgeous!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home