Monday, July 10, 2006

Online Poll: Who’s Obsessed with the Food Network?

I’m fully willing to admit…I’m obessed.

Watching random shows on the Food Network has replaced my habit of watching old movies on TBS and TNT. Goodbye Molly Ringwald, hello Giada!

I’ve always been sort of a foodie. It all began as a child when my mom taught Food 101 at the local high school. She may have outgrown teaching that class, but the talent she learned and applied at home has helped me develop a pure appreciation for the gastronomic arts.

Yes, I love going out and experimenting with all the lovely NYC restaurant choices that New York has to offer. Italian, Vietnamese, French…oh my! Truly, the world is your oyster here. Especially with so many restaurants owned and operated by the world’s most talented chefs. The only problem is that it can hurt one’s pocketbook more than you’d expect.

So lately, I’ve been trying to cook more using professional inspiration. I’ve got a knack for cooking (thanks mom). So after catching episodes of Emeril Live, Barefoot Contessa and Everyday Italian, I try and think up something new to try…

Given all the talk of summer (and my disappointment at not being able to have a charcoal grill on my non-existent patio), I made a small purchase - likely the best of the summer - a brand new, non-stick grill pan. I think I’m in love.

…marinating, slicing, seasoning, grilling. To be honest, cooking is one small slice of pleasant solitude that I’ve come to enjoy. I’ve been a bit down in the dumps lately, but I’ve realized it’s time to pull myself out of it and enjoy the summer. BBQ’d chicken, grilled veggies, cocktail shrimp and a Corona Light with lime is all I need to send me back to a breezy, lakefront from my childhood. Who knew a grill pan could lead so such contented nostalgia?

Now if only I had a kitchen that wasn’t so damn small…

5 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger pookalu said...

i know. i'm so sad. i'm moving from a full size huge kitchen to a studio with a kitchen along a wall. so depressing.

plus, i'm bummed 'cuz i can't use my roommate's TiVo to record my two favorite cooking shows of all time -- Alton Brown's Good Eats (Food Network) and America's Test Kitchen (PBS). however, i do seek solace in my cooking magazine subscriptions.

let's all re-do the sleep overs, and do cook overs! oh, wait, are those called potlucks?

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i'm not obsessed, but my fiance is. that is all he watches, unless baseball is on.

i like food 911, semi-homeade, and any of the competition type shows. wedding cake shows, have and will alwyas be, my favorite.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Lynn-e said...

Just found your blog and I will admit that the food network is an obsession for me as well.

But what's really funny is that I need a grill pan. Which one did you buy? I need some recommendations before I make my purchase!

Nice blog!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger A Novelist said...

I actually TIVO the Food Network (Giada, Rachael, Emeril, Ina, etc.). I am an addict! And yes, my kitchenette is very small. I should do a show on the Food Network, "How to cook in a kitchen the size of a shoebox!" LOL. :)

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

glad to see there's more of us out there....

i must admit that i've been hooked for the last couple of years. i might be able to show you a few things around the kitchen.

er......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home