Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Coffee-a-holic

I’m not a morning person. I never have been. I think back to Sunday mornings as a teenager when my Dad would try and get me out of bed to go to Church. It would come down to about 15 minutes before we had to leave when he would threaten to take my car away. Only then would I reluctantly peel myself out of bed.

My mornings these days are slightly parallel…sans ominous parental figure. I set the alarm for 6am, thinking the night before that I’d be getting up to go for a run (yeah right). I’ll hit snooze until 7:30am, and then begin my morning ritual of stumbling to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee.

This morning I did something blasphemous…I “made” coffee but forgot to put the coffee grounds into the filter. Result: hot water. I don’t think I’ve ever done this and it’s made me wonder: am I going mad?

Coffee is my morning touchstone to reality. I used to drink a whole 12-cup pot before work…that is until I realized I might have a slight problem with caffeine. I’ve since downgraded to a 4-cupper and seem quite satiated. Coffee is what gets me going on the weekdays and makes my mornings complete on the weekends. It’s more than a morning jolt, rather it’s the emotive feeling I get from drinking it. It’s calming.

So this morning’s absent-minded blunder, as you can imagine, set my day off to a telling start. Instead of getting huffy about it and letting it throw my morning off (like I normally might), I decided to embrace it. So I made a proper pot of joe…and was late to work.

I figure I might be going crazy, however drinking my morning coffee is a surefire way to ensure that I’m less crazy than I would be without it.

11 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger pookalu said...

elle -- there are studies that show that caffeine drinkers (coffee) are less prone to be suicidal, have a better memory retention, etc.. i stand by those studies, since i'm a coffee addict myself. it's also one of those addictive substances that are fairly easily removable from your diet.

plus, if you hadn't drunk your coffee, you would've suffered the horrible withdrawal symptoms. not good.

anyway, i know this sounds compulsive, but have you ever considered getting one of those coffee makers with timers? it's my life saver. (requires planning the night before, but sooo worth it!)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Um, planning the night before...do you know me at all ;-)

What a brilliant idea! I may need to make a new purchase now...

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger nolatravelgirl said...

I too am a coffee a holic. Yesterday morning I walked to the car with the computer bag in one hand and coffee in the other. Guess which one I accidently threw in the trunk! :-0

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't feel right not to stand in line for 30 min for a 5 dollar coffee..

ou should try it, it will probably help you to remember to add the grounds next time, so you don't have to stand in line.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger pookalu said...

(seriously, elle, my ex-roommate found one at some cheap store, a 4 cupper, for like 20 bucks. with a timer. best thing since sliced bread)

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Downtown said...

I can't understand those folks who do not need coffee to operate. I swear my eyes can't open, let alone become a functioning person with a large coffee, skim, one splenda.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Elle, you need to go to Cranberrys on Henry ST in Brooklyn Heights. It may take a little more cream or sugar, but their coffee SERIOUSLY has enough caffeine to take you down from your four cupper to a two cupper.

I've decided I need to get A/C so I can drink hot coffee on 85 degree mornings.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Horse said...

Throw down on one of these [bald mountain coffee] bad boys too. My dad swears by em.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

YUM, COFFEEE!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

thats not that bad...

years ago, i got caught clocking in on the telephone (which was near the time clock)

mornings are not my strong point

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger A Novelist said...

I too, am a coffeeholic and I too, have made a nice pot, forgetting to put the grounds in. Great post! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home