Friday, June 23, 2006

Corporate Challenge: A Joyous Occasion to Skip

Ever since I moved to New York and had a full-time job, I’ve partaken in a bit of company-driven group activity such as the Corporate Challenge. I’ve run in this race for the last 3 years and like every year, I wonder why I even bother, since the next day I always end up feeling like crap for a number of reasons...
  • Managerial Wrath
    To get to Central Park in enough time to start the race at 7pm, I’m forced to tear myself away from whatever it is that I’m working on and haul ass all in the name of my physical and emotional well-being, not to mention my apparent “work/life” balance. Well, each year I arrive to the office the next day and end up feeling like a moron because I’ve missed the boat on something, which is entirely not within my working style, in fact far from it. Naturally, I’m in a foul mood.
  • Claustrophobic Frustration
    Anyone who has run in this race knows it’s one of the biggest races in New York City next to the Marathon. So as you can imagine, thousands of runners all packed onto West Drive between a few measly uptown/downtown blocks does not lead to a pleasant situation for the post-work anxiety-fest that most City workers feel. Getting bumped around by sweaty, rude people is not exactly conducive of a pleasant jog around the park.
  • Heat Wave
    June in New York. Need I say more?
  • Bobbing & Weaving
    Once the wild-eyed mob actually starts to move forward it can take upwards of 10 minutes to even get across the start line. After that you spend the first mile running in a zig-zag motion to avoid the walkers and slower runners, leading to a slightly disappointing 10-minute mile at best. At mile 2 it sort of gets better, but then gets worse again at mile 3 when all the people who thought they were rock stars tunker out and start walking. Begin zig-zag pattern once more. In a nutshell, when running a race, the time naturally matters, and this race consistently disappoints in that my Corporate Challenge time is always my worst race time of the year. Thus defeating the purpose of racing in the first place.
  • Post-Race Binge
    After running for the sake of my waist line, you'd think I'd refrain from partaking in the post-race festivites with my co-workers at a place like Brother Jimmy's. Oh no. After a few beers, ample portions of bbq wings, rib tips, chips and dip, jalepeno poppers and quesadillas, not to mention a short bout of "fishbowl racing" - it essentially leaves my stomach in shambles. Just in case you were wondering, I'm fasting today as a result and not by choice.
So as you can see, the experience has its many downfalls, and today I'm totally paying for it. I think next year, I’ll skip the agony, annoyance and frustration of doing the Corporate Challenge and instead spend the evening of the race in the comfort of my air-conditioned apartment with a quality glass of wine in hand after a fulfilling day at the office.

4 Comments:

At 5:01 AM, Blogger miss goLondon said...

you described perfectly why i do not enter these types of races. they are deceptively unhealthy. do a running snob thing next time, look down your glasses, or pretend to, and say no, you only do cross country races!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Yikes, I never thought about having to run before actually starting the race and crossing the starting line.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger A Novelist said...

Oh yes...the Corporate Challenge is essential where I work as well. And it was really hot & humid that day too...

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Adelaide Collective said...

Gotta love the corporate challenge. They should just forget the running all together and make it a drink-a-thon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home