Saturday, July 08, 2006

Battle of the Alleyway

My neighborhood is an endearing mix of people. When I first moved in I was interested to see the multitude of flags on my street, proudly proclaiming who was Dominican, who was Mexican and who was Puerto Rican. I would laugh when I would go for a run and the men had pulled their lazy boys into the parking spaces along with a TV connected to a cable running over the garden level dumpsters…all in the name of soccer.

Over the years I’ve come to love my street, even with its eccentricities. However, one thing I will never embrace is the group of guys who hang out on the stoop next to mine and whisper lewd things to the women on my street as they walk by.

Well, today I won a small battle against these oafs.

It was around 5pm this evening while I was doing some much needed housekeeping when I noticed the faint scent of weed creep into my bedroom window. I climbed onto my bed so I could get a peak at who was smoking it up in the alley way between my building and the next. Sure enough it was the harassing hoodlums.

Now, I’m not one to yell profanity out the window, unless of course dire circumstances ensure and I have no choice. This time was not dire; however I did have a brilliant plan with a prediction.

I promptly dropped my Swiffer and plugged in my iPod. Click, click, click and presto chango I’ve got the Dixie Chicks’ latest (and highly brilliant) album blaring out of every window in my apartment.

I gave them 10 minutes (given their hazy and duped state) to vacate the alleyway.

It took 5. Muhahahahaha!

I then went on with my cleaning in peace and freshness…sans weed. Now…how to get them to shut the hell up?!

2 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Garth Brooks also works to shut up the Dominican community.

Some 'Sconnie tools for ya...

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger brunettechicagogal said...

I hate being harassed, too. If it's from someone I'll likely never see again, I say, "Yeah, keep dreamin', little boy." That just pisses them off, though, and I'm probably going to endanger myself some day. I've also gone up to harassers and said, "Please show some respect. Would you want someone talking to your mother or sister or daughter or niece that way? It makes us women feel creepy." Usually they're taken aback and don't know what the hell to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home