Thursday, June 01, 2006

Artificial Drunkeness

I’m not a big drinker of Red Bull, mainly because of the sheer amount of calories in that tiny little can. I will, however partake in a sugar-free Red Bull on occasion, mainly when I need an intense and drug-like boost in my level of drunkenness, and only in places like Las Vegas. I know what you’re thinking, you think I’m slightly prudish and uncool because I don’t guzzle down this trendy mixer whenever I possibly can. Whatever.

So, I’ll tell you why I refrain.... I was a sugar free Red Bull-a-holic one evening past. It was a night full of debauchery, uncanny levels of high-energy boozing combined with an over-exerting social scene. It really was a night for the commercials. I likely consumed 4-5 sugar free Red Bull & vodkas and proceeded to wake up in the morning with the worst possible hangover of my entire life. I’ve keep the habit on the backburner ever since. Damn Red Bull.

**Note: I know it was the Red Bull because 4 years of binge drinking at a Big Ten school will teach a gal what she can really handle. Vodka is not the problem here.

A friend sent me an article today that allowed for the proverbial light to turn on regarding why my sugar free Red Bull hangover was so ghastly. Apparently, artificial sweeteners speed alcohol into the bloodstream making the drinker, drunker. The study found that the peak blood alcohol concentration was significantly higher with the diet drink than with the regular drink. In other words, all of us calorie counters are screwed.


As a closing thought I’ll leave you all with this…do you think this dispels the “mystery” on why New York is filled with so many drunk, skinny girls?

Artificial sweeteners speed alcohol into blood Reuters

6 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger jo said...

i'm a redbull fan. but i've never even heard of the sugar free type. but the next time i'm at a bar and ordering a vodka redbull, i'm gonna insist that it's a sugar free redbull haha!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger pookalu said...

aren't you supposed to do that thing where you train yourself to handle drinks straight?

and have you tried the beer with caffeine? no artificial sweetener rush, at the very least!

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Wow, really? I am so screwed. I LOVE sugar free red bull

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger K said...

Something about red bull always makes me feel like I'm hungover. Probably because all my memories of it are vodka-saturated and quite foggy.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Dolly said...

And there I was thinking I was safe with the Rum and Diet Cokes...

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Dustin said...

interesting.

hmm...

i actually learned somthin today

 

Post a Comment

<< Home