Monday, June 05, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

I’ve always been relatively conscious about the environment. I recycle. I turn off lights when I leave the room. I opt for paper over plastic. I write my congressmen. You know, the usual. I think about how our world is deteriorating before our eyes, but to be quite frank, I haven’t really been motivated enough to go above and beyond to make things better…until Sunday. I saw Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth,” and after hearing his presentation on the state of our mother earth, I can now effectively say I might have to venture into “green” territory.

In a nutshell, the film is a documentary about a PowerPoint presentation that Mr. Gore has been tweaking and presenting over the years to audiences all over the world. Pieces of his presentation are overlaid with tones of political strife, real world accounts of environmental progress and failure, as well as autobiographical references to how Mr. Gore came to care so much. It’s hands down the most motivating documentary I’ve seen since Fahrenheit 9/11.

Of all the science out there on melting polar ice caps, rainforest destruction, glacial retreat, extinction of species, air pollution, oil consumption…the film pieces all of this together into a clear and concise picture of how everything is connected and NOW is the time to get truly concerned. Not just concerned for how our government is handling the situation, if at all, but also concerned about the modern world’s blatant apathy for a true need for urgent action.

Go see the movie. You’ll leave with a different perspective on the world we live in, and be truly motivated to do something beyond recycling and turning off lights.

To learn more about what you can do, visit
www.climatecrisis.net

4 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger pookalu said...

thanks, elle, now you make me feel like a bad scientist cuz i haven't seen the movie yet.

thanks a lot.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Fahrenheit 9/11 a documentary?! That is the funniest thing I've ever heard!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Damn It Anyway said...

I can't wait to see it.
Oh..and i hate to be one of "those guys" but it was a Keynote presentation..not Powerpoint.:)

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Adelaide Collective said...

Is Gore going to be the next Nixon? Gore in 2008???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home