Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Part 1: Love Love Love...

La-Love Love…London. If that doesn’t say it all…then I’ll spell it out. I had a brilliant time. It was strange actually. I was waiting and waiting for my “ah ha” moment - the point where it hits you that you’re in a massively different place – and oddly enough, it never came. Not when I realized the cars were driving on the wrong side of the street. Not when I heard the accents and shopped with funny money. Not even when I caught my first glimpse of Big Ben. I think it was the city-girl in me that made it all seem normal. From the moment I stepped out of the airport from the moment we stepped back in I felt like…I could ‘do’ London. It’s just like New York…only…London.

Here’s a brief synopsis of the first two days of adventure:

Friday:
  • Stopped into the London branch of my office for a visit and a peak
  • Hauled ass with my friend to our “apartment” for the weekend…a posh little set up smack in the heart of Covent Garden
  • Celebratory beers at Porterhouse, which, of course, led to many many many more beers in the neighborhood…all at bars that had names resembling one of the following: Pig & Hoof, Claw & Hawk, Punch & Judy…you get the picture
  • Late dinner at an Indian restaurant in the hood…for all you Brits, what ever happened to cushioning the hangover with a little sustenance?!?!
  • Post food, we picked back up on "happy hour," which led to chatting up every nationality of boy known to man...once I met the Germans I knew it was time to call it a night
  • Passed out from a combination of jet lag, beer buzz and food coma…
Saturday:
  • Coffee and croissants du chocolate from around the corner
  • Met up with Downtown and another gal pal at St. Paul’s for a day of modest sightseeing (given it was raining most of the day we decided to keep most of our “outdoor activity” for Sunday and Monday)
  • We proceeded to the Tate Modern for 2 hours of gazing at amazing works of art
  • Following, we took a short walk on the South Bank to the Borough Market where we purchased a variety of cheeses, breads, chutneys, olives and wine for an average “girls night in”
  • Returned to posh CG flat for smorgasbord dinner
  • Got cutsied up and headed over to Annex 3 (thanks for the tip Holly…the cocktails were fab!), where we realized men in suits are entirely to few and far between in the States…must promote pinstripe wearing more often on this side of the pond
So far, London was absolutely fabulous. As an experienced city girl, navigating was easy, walking a ton seemed normal and the accent was growing on me. My only beef…the positively shitty weather, but no matter, I was in London after all, and I have to say…very livable.

The next couple of days would be full of more fun including lots of shopping, afternoon tea, exploring and more frolicking with the British...so little time and so much to do!

More to come as I get back on New York time...

3 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

next time, you or DT are taking me with you.

i
need
a
vacation

badly

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger pookalu said...

i need a vacation too.

welcome back!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

or not :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home