Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Bugging Out

I love living in New York, but the one thing no one ever wants or really expects is to live in New York with bugs

I’ve dealt with nasty home invaders before. In fact, all the shit holes I’ve lived in before my present apartment had mice problems. But I have to say, mice are easier to deal with than bugs. At least you can find the opening where they come in and plug it up…even if it requires removing your dishwasher from the wall to find the damn hole. Mice aside, bugs are currently plaguing me, and I’m now freaked out and unable to sleep for fear they’ll be crawling all over me.

Take last night for instance…I was sleeping serenely in my lovely air conditioning, when I woke up around 4:30am only to find a bug had bitten me squarely on my right ass cheek. WTF. It’s quite possibly the worst place for a bug bite. After all, PR chicks are not prone to scratching their asses in public. It’s a problem. Is a strange species of nocturnal bugs infesting my sleeping quarters?! I mean, they certainly aren’t around the other 17 hours of the day…

My other buggy encounter was with a giant, (ick) roach that decided to crawl up our shower drain and sit on my bathroom floor, looking like it was ready to pounce on my toe and take a chomp out of it for dinner. I likely would have missed it if it hadn’t been for my roommate’s shriek a few evenings ago at the sight of this giant thing. I ran in to see what it was and she was perched on the toilet seat doing a balancing act like I’ve never seen. Ever since, a long-handled wooden spoon has been a fixture on the bathroom counter…because my hand isn’t going near that thing if it happens to rear it’s ugly antennae again…and I’m praying there was only one.

On the bright side, I’m glad that my present insect situation isn’t one that is multiplying in my apartment walls, but I’m sorry…bugs belong outside, not in my bed or on my bathroom floor!

Until I can find the source of the dirty little culprits, I have a feeling that a prescription of Ambien is in my future…

5 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger pookalu said...

omg. a few years back i was bitten by spiders which triggered this horrible allergic reaction to food. lasted for months. i had to go to an allergist, and they still couldn't diagnose the source of the allergies. i had to go on a restricted diet to get rid of potential food allergens. it was horrible.

"i feel your pain!"

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

OMG...on top of not sleeping, I won't be able to eat either?!?!?

Wow...I'll look like a supermodel in no time...

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

while in college we had a HUGE problem with spiders. one night my roommate was out and i was attempting sleep and i felt something sort of brush my ear, i thought the ceiling fan had just wisped some hair, but that didn't feel like the answer either, so i turn on the light to see a nickle sized spider crawling towards the wall. spiders of any size freak me the hell out. i call my roommate and told her i was checking into a hotel downtown and come there instead of going back to the apartment.
we got an exterminator and had fewer spiders, but the ones we had were soo tiny, that i didn't freak out when i killed one.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Meg said...

Come on girls. I'm ashamed of you, Elle, for being a scared Sconnie. Call me when you get those bugs and I'll kill them.. with my bare hands... gawwwrrr!

Seriously though, they don't bug me. Mice are icky, but you can put out traps. The only pain in the ass thing about roaches is that they are big, scary, and hard to kill. But just send me an IM. I'll come down and help you out. That way your roommate won't fall into the toilet.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Mummerina said...

You have shattered my idea of NYC - I thought we only had bugs like that in Australia. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home