Sunday, March 26, 2006

Rules for Sanity

If you read this blog often enough you know that I often bitch about how worn out I feel. Everything from being “too social,” to working long hours, to spending too much money, to not finding time to really talk with people…I could go on.

My weekend of borderline solitude, coupled with all the latest news-talk about sleep disorders and how brain functioning severely depreciates when it doesn’t get adequate rest, has lead me to believe that I need to stop the complaining and do something about my current state of being. Call it a penalty of the New York lifestyle if you will, but this Midwesterner has decided that the unhealthy pace of life needs some serious reigning in. Therefore, here are my proposed action points to remedy the situation:

  1. Work out at least 3 times a week. No bailing or bitching allowed.
  2. Cook at home more.
  3. Instill a three drink maximum at every social outing. (This inspired by my friend Ivy, and will clearly allow me to dismiss the disclaimer for obnoxious behavior that I so often put out there before the night gets dicey).
  4. Get to work at 8:30am and leave by 6:30pm (Of course extenuating circumstances do apply, but this will be my daily goal).
  5. Start sticking to a budget. (Clearly, sticking to items 2 & 3 will assist in this aspiration)
  6. Watch less TV and read more books.
  7. Try to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night (I figure this will work out if I stick to all of the items listed above).

I wonder if I can do it all. That’s a tall order for a gal who’s gotten used to a certain way of life. It will take an active thought process and a few social sacrifices to slow things down, but I really think if I stick to it my brain will start functioning in a smart way again and I will truly welcome the clarity that I hope to gain. I need to enjoy life more instead of feeling stuck in a constant game of catch-up. I’m tired of being tired.

16 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Adelaide Collective said...

Great plan- I fully embrace it, or at least I've tried! At the end of the day, that's all we can really do, right?

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger charming, but single said...

Three drink max would probably VERY good for me. I always say, "I'm just having one drink," and then I end up with four on my tab and two that some guy bought me and a shot that I don't know who paid for ...

The seven hours of sleep would be a tall order for me. I'll stick to the three drink max before I get seven hours of sleep a night. Even on nights when I stay in I stay up until past midnight and leave the house by 7 a.m. (7:30, sometimes). First alarm goes off at 5:45 a.m. Seven hours is a A LOT of sleep.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Can we form a support group? I need to follow these steps too.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger jo said...

this is really good. in fact i'm trying to slow down at the moment too. sleeping more, drinking less. but now i just feel like a real bum haha!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

good luck with everything! 3 drink minimum would be very hard, but kudos to you if you can stick with it!!!

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger pookalu said...

god, i totally feel this.

last night i was so tired after work that i couldn't get up from my living room couch to get to bed. instead (no joke), i had to take a power nap so that i could find enough energy to sit up.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Silvs said...

I love your list. and guess what! Im going to give it a try for a month .. and i'm going to add to that ..
stop taking a cab every where. My friends started calling my Cab princess. It's not pretty! but yes, i'm going to live by these rules for a month! wish me luck!!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean! I've been functioning on 3-4 hours of sleep a night because of the kind of life I decided I want to live. Unfortunately, I think this might just be making me a bit stupider in the process.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

Yes, I concur with the 7 hours of sleep every night. It's so damn hard though to maintain that nightly sometimes.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for the support everyone! I'm going to need it...so far, so good...but I hear getting past the first week or a resolution is the hardest. Besides I still have yet to try out the three drink max...will keep you all posted!

Silvs...the cab bit is a problem for me too...I considered that wrapped into the "budgeting" line item :-)

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Horse said...

Elle: GREAT ideas, just great. You're sick of making excuses, and now you're going to do something about it. Good luck.

If you are not an athlete/haven't been working out regularly, don't go too hard at first, or you will run yourself out and be miserable and sore. If you are lifting weights, I would suggest lifting ridiculously easy weights until you get used to the movements (especially free squats), and if you are doing cardio, take it real easy (like, almost not sweating). Do this for a month and you will be ready to begin seriously getting in shape.

If you try too hard at first, you will get discouraged, like I would if I tried to learn piano by attempting Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto the first time I started playing.

Good Luck! I'll stay tuned and see how it goes.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Single guy blogging said...

Hey Elle - I've done similar things in the past, and my only suggestion would be to "document it"!

Put together a chart and see how you are tracking on it -- it really really helps give you a sense of goal and accomplishment when you do.

I had one on my door once, so it was something I saw every day as I left for work or got home. :)

Good luck!!

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Horse said...

ps Killington was fun. There was at least one cute guy there!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Dolly said...

This is why I think we should try to organize more activities that don't revolve around alcohol (as much as I love the stuff). Maybe we could do a group museum outing or movie night or walk/picnic in the park when it gets warmer? It would make a nice change from happy hour, no?

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Horse - I already get plenty of exercise...I just need to do it regularly...perhaps set a big goal for myself for the summer, like a half-marathon or a couple 10K runs...we shall see if I stick to things to allow for the time and stamina.

Dolly - I'm going back to bowling and ping pong on your point...no need to drink really, just good old fashioned fun :-)

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger James said...

Ahh, the joys of sobriety!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home