Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Balls and Alleys

As part of an effort to instill a “work/life” balance into employees, my company decided to host a bowling night. Let me tell you, I was totally reminded how fun an evening of leisurely throwing balls around can be. (In many ways of course…but I digress…we’re talking bowling here.)

I must admit that Bowlmor Lanes is an extremely cheesy venue and certainly a throw back to decades past), however the whole environment should be taken in and made light of (minus the part where I was forced to wear used shoes).

Let’s start with discussing how great the music was. Poison’s “Mama’s Fallen Angel,” Pat Benetar’s “Love is a Battlefield,” and Rick Springfield’s “Jesse’s Girl” followed by every 80’s song that was ever included in a Molly Ringwald movie certainly makes for a good time. Not only is it great bowling music, but we also all had a stellar time regaling with tales of dancing on tables in college while simultaneously taking shots and making out with strangers. Fabulous.

If I may go on…In most bowling alleys there is a bar; usually strobe lights. Ugly footwear is provided yet required so right there everyone is in the same boat and can’t be judged on fashion choices. And to top it off, no one cares if you really suck since it’s all in good fun. So yes, I was surprised at the enjoyment garnered from bowling…and I didn’t even suck that bad (I scored 125).

I do recall mentioning to some friends that monthly recreational game night should be instilled into our social gallivanting. Of course bowling, but perhaps also ping pong? Darts? Skee ball? I’m thinking it may just even lead us into a land of uncharted territory. Into a land of cute, recreational game playing boys who are all single, smart, low key and looking…ok, ok...I'm dreaming.

At the very least it will add a smidgen of variety to our typical nightly outings…

13 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erased? Now, that's no fun. :(

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Hey now...what good would my own personal editor be if I didn't correct my mistakes?!?! Thanks ;-)

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I saved a screen shot of the original (freudian) error for posterity. ;-)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Oh great. Please refrain from blackmailing me if I ever become famous...

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blackmail isn't my style, dear Elle. On the other hand, I'd do just about anything for a laugh.

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! My friends and I sometimes just take suburban excursions when we're craving high school funnery. Arcades + bowling alleys and alcohol are always sure to provide amusement.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a reason that everyone's parents were on a bowling league in the 70s... Although, last time I went bowling with co-workers, I ended up with a broken toe (from one of my direct reports). Accident? I think not...

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

at least you had fun with the whole bowling thing. i bet if you sucked and scored in the 60s (i am pretty sure that is my most "recent" bowling score) that you would have bailed. Or maybe I'm just a sore loser...

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger The Team said...

You can have 'dibs' on all the bowlers, dart players and ping pong players.

I'll stick with hot guys we meet on the ski mountain....

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Dolly said...

Ooh, skee ball would be so much fun!!

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Snob...you don't get all of 'em ;-)

Recall our new 'dibs' rule that we instated with Dolly & Polly...no calling 'dibs' until you actually talk to the guy. Makes it fair for us cougars...

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Horse said...

Elle: You, Dolly, and Polly consider yourselves 'cougars'? Uh-oh.

I thought y'all were my age (mid 20's). Older ladies are nothing but trouble. I wish I didn't have such a weakness for 'em.

Snob: I've seen some pretty hot darts playing dudes, so don't dismiss them out of hand. Bowler dudes have disproportionate right arms, so I don't blame you if you don't go for the asymmetrical type ;)

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger erin said...

we had a bowling party from work last week and it was so much fun (we even had shirts with our names on them). i think going out to the bar and just hanging out gets stale sometimes and you need to throw some balls in there to spice it up.

how about a discover zone for adults?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home