Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Do You Keep Secrets?

Everyone has them. Whether it is a childhood memory you can’t stand to share with the best of friends, or something you did or thought recently that’s causing you inner turmoil. Secrets range from small personal turmoil to life-altering confessions, which can rock a person’s existence to the core.

I’m not one to keep many secrets about myself, since I consider being an open book to be a healthy habit. In fact, I’ve sometimes shared too much, but at least it’s out there and I can get real advice or thought from the people that matter in my life.

While watching the news this morning, I saw a story about Frank Warren, a man who started up a community art project surrounding secrets. He asked people to send him anonymous postcards with their clandestine thoughts inscribed on them. He receives over 200 postcards per day and has received over 25,000 to date. Mr. Warren even started a blog, called postsecret, to showcase some of the amazing cards he gets in daily. His little project is now being turned into a book.

So why is Mr. Warren’s secret art project so interesting? Honestly, it has nothing to do with each individual's plight; rather it is a fascinating look at human nature. Cheating, committing crimes, self-image, thought processes on interpersonal relationships…it’s all there, presented on colorful and poignant postcards. It’s a window into a person’s brain on what is literally eating them alive.

Check it out; you’ll be surprised at what kinds of things average people are keeping locked away from even the closest people they know.

Blogger gives dark secrets the first-class treatment USA Today

6 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Adelaide Collective said...

I hate secrets. I know there are just some things better kept to yourself, but man alive...how do people do it???

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger K said...

I saw this on dateline and am so intrigued...

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger AWE said...

Does being an idiot while drinking and not wanting to tell everyone about it count as a secret? If so, I could write a book. When I see someone out that saw me in the inebriated state being an ass, I always hope that they don't mention it.

And what if you have never told anyone around you that you have a blog?

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger pookalu said...

postsecret is my favorite weekend fix. i love living vicariously through the postcards. the only problem is, he takes down the old postcards with each weekly update, so you reallly have to check each week.

i'm also an open book, but there are some secrets that i (like everyone else) have, which i keep even from myself.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

very interesting! it's amazing how many secrets the world has to keep!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger jo said...

i don't really consider myself an open book since there is a fair bit that i don't say. i'm more of a paperback.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home