Monday, August 21, 2006

“Real” Shoes

Every woman has a fashion fetish. It could be handbags, jewelry or belts. Mine happens to be shoes. When I say shoes, I by no means want to imply that my closet is filled with Jimmy Choo’s and Monolo’s - far from it in fact, as my budget does not allow for such extravagances. I do however have a fabulous array of more reasonably priced shoes that are carefully boxed up and stacked waist high in my tiny closet.

Despite my collection, it wasn’t until this weekend that I realized what a real shoe was.

As I was walking to meet my cousin, I walked past a little shoe shop in the West Village. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of a pair of beautiful jade and brown patent leather, Mary Jane pumps with bronze grommets, buckles and a solid stacked heel. I stopped dead in my Nine West tracks to admire them. I promptly entered the store, requested my size and slid the handmade, Italian leather masterpieces onto my feet. I stood up on the four-inch heel, half expecting my calf muscles to give out, but alas, I felt as if I was walking on air.

I stepped carefully around the store, accepting the coos from the sales staff at how lovely the shoes looked (of course) and acknowledged that the color scheme of the shoes matched my choices for the current day’s attire.

I had just been introduced to my first real shoe! Perfectly pieced together. Smells of new leather. Shiny and without a single imperfection. Fits like a glove. With or without encouragement from the sales staff…I was in love. I then looked at the price tag. GASP!

My predicament at that point in time could have been equated to showing a cocaine addict and 8-ball and then telling them they couldn’t touch it. It was a pitiless and desperate moment I was stranded in, completely incapable of making a rational decision. I had to have those shoes. I couldn’t live without them!

I quickly calculated my ability to float my social life for the rest of the month if I decided to make the purchase. I figured I could swing it, but it would mean I’d be eating less over the course of the month. You know what they say…trading up food for fashion is never a bad decision.

I paid for my beauties and walked out of the store sans a shred of buyer’s remorse. I now owned a pair of real shoes! Talk about retail therapy! I truly felt great.
After all, a shoe is the only thing that will never go up a size, regardless of how much cheese, chocolate and wine one consumes.

6 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Mummerina said...

Good on you!!! I am looking at buying my first pair of Choos or Manolos... and hey if they are as great as what you just described - I will have no guilt what-so-ever!

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Picture?!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger jo said...

yeah i'm with notcarrie... picture please... afterall you got me drooling at the description of the shoe...

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

I've been trying to find a picture everywhere, but the brand doesn't have a website!

They are KEY Te shoes...I'll post a pic if I can find one!!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Adelaide Collective said...

Pure heaven

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Thérèse said...

*sigh*

This is a beautiful story.

Seriously, seriously beautiful.

I'd love to see the shoes you're talking about though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home