Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Extreme Dream

About one week out of every month, I have crazy dreams that I always remember with absolute vividness. Not that I never have dreams, it’s just that I never remember them. Only for one week…and this week is that week.

Usually my dreams are a convoluted hodgepodge of random imagery and conversation that only the best psychoanalyst could decipher. On occasion the happenings are strung together with some semblance of coherence, and last night’s dream happened to fall into that category.

I’ll make it a short description and let all of you tell me what the hell it means:

I’m back in a neighborhood that I grew up in as a small child, full of trees and kids on bikes. Only, I’m not a child, I’m completely grown up. As I walk around the neighborhood, the streets morph into the streets of my New York City neighborhood. I’m wandering aimlessly and it’s raining. Suddenly I’m at a doctor’s office where I’m quickly diagnosed with breast cancer. The cancer lump begins as the size of a pea and proceeds to double and grow as I leave the office and walk around in the rain. At one point I stop walking to give myself my own Chemo treatment, which consists of plunging a large syringe full of whatever into myself a la adrenaline-needle-in-pulp-fiction style. I lose my hair right away and start donning Samantha-from-Sex and the City wigs where ever I go. I recall feeling disjointed and depressed, because I have a feeling that I'm going to die. Just as I’m walking down the NYC/childhood memory street I hear a bus horn going off…

…and I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off where I promptly sit up and hit snooze.

Someone please tell me what me getting breast cancer has to do with my current life.
I hope to god I don’t have any powers of foresight.

4 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger jo said...

dreams can sometimes be really weird. and it might not even be all that telling anyhow. unless your dream is a metaphor for saying that you have a weight in your chest and you're doing all you can to heal yourself.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger pookalu said...

are you reading to many breast cancer walk ads on the subway?

are you affected by freud's recent 150th birthday celebration?

maybe it's cuz once in a while your biological clock ticks subconsciously....

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger A Novelist said...

Dreams can be strange. I had a dream like yours, where I was back in my childhood neighborhood, went to the doctor, where I was diagnosed with AIDS. It was all very strange. I don't know what dreams like that mean, but they can be unsettling...

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger miss goLondon said...

i can't say it isn't prophetic, but dreams tend to speak in symbols and metaphors. maybe change and the fear of the unknown and uncontrolable? i have them too, and time pushes the vibes they leave behind you. hope tonight is peaceful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home