Friday, April 21, 2006

The Joys of Marketing

One of the little perks about working in the marketing industry is that there are a plethora of freebies involved. Purging the product closet leads to hauling home an armload of cleaning products or tampons. Sometimes we even get free beer!

On some special occasions, other companies think I have enough power in this world to send me freebies. This virtually never happens so I’ll take it when I can get it. So you can imagine my excitement when I received a package on my desk the other day from a large music label.

I shook the box, like a kid on Christmas Day, trying to discern what treasures might lie inside. I have no patience so I tore into the box and found a stack of CDs and a letter from a potential partner we’ve been chatting with. How lovely! Free music!

I started checking stuff out yesterday and some of the selections, all new artists, are just not my cup o' tea, however there are two gems out of the stack that I’d like to spout off about.

First off is Pink. Sometimes I like her “ass-kicker” music for a good workout, but otherwise I steer clear. Her new album is actually quite good with a lot of acoustic guitar and catchy rock tunes that show off how good of a singer she really is. I’m also now a fan purely because of her song “Hey Mr. President.” It’s brilliant and you must read the lyrics.

My other rave is Mat Kearney. At first I thought this was going to be a Chris Martin copy cat, but then he started rapping – of sorts. Think rapping as in P. Diddy rapping - not a hard edge and kind of wimpy. I’m not sure how, but it works.


Now that my craving for new music is satiated for the week I can happily jaunt down the street with my iPod on a loop. Note to self: must take said music label contact to big fat NYC lunch. Just think of the lovely selections I could score if I offered up free food…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home