Monday, April 10, 2006

Sticking to the Rules

A few weeks back I was in need of a major sanity kick in the pants and I instilled some ground rules to abide by. I thought I’d throw out a little update on my progress.

Here’s a refresher of the basics…

  1. Work out at least 3 times a week.
  2. Cook at home more.
  3. Instill a three drink maximum at every social outing.
  4. Get to work at 8:30am and leave by 6:30pm
  5. Start sticking to a budget.
  6. Watch less TV and read more books.
  7. Try to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night
There are three rules that have been immensely more difficult to stick to than the others…

Rule 3 has been difficult for obvious reasons. I’ve broken it by a smidge a couple times and I severely over did it on one occasion.

Rule 6 is hard to stick to as well considering I’m a sucker for movies and Sunday morning political commentary. I’m not one to waste away watching reality TV or entertainment news shows (although I have my moments), rather I enjoy sitting comfortably on my couch with a cup of coffee while watching Tim Russert or AMC.


Finally, the hardest one to follow has been rule 5. I will say that eating in and keeping the booze intake at a minimum are helping in my efforts for reaching devine uber-frugalness, but I’m in serious need of revamping my spending habits. To top it off, the desire for new spring fashion additions in my closet are not helping my predicament.

As for the rest of the rules, I’ve been pretty good at sticking 99.9% to 1, 2, 4 & 7. Even from just this small amount of progress, it’s obvious that setting some ground rules for myself has been a wise decision. I’ve still got a ways to go of course, but I can honestly say my goals are helping to get me back to where I feel I want to be. I’m calmer, my energy levels are higher, my head is clearer and I’m not permanently walking around with a scowl on my face. All good things.

It’s funny how it took an active decision on my part to get to this point, but that just makes it all the more clear that my current problematic state of mind won’t solve itself. As my wise mother has always said: Everything is a choice. Hence, I must chose to make my life what I want it to be.

6 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

I did the same thing, tried to cut back on spending right when the spring clothes were coming into the stores. I can't wear sweaters when its hott so I had to go shop! It's hard to stick to a budget.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger AWE said...

The 3 drink min. is a killer with the group I hang out with so I have cut back on the amount I go out with them.

Even though I hate to do it, I have been taking my lunch more which has been helping my budget.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger jo said...

well at least you're sticking to most of your rules...

for me, i would think the 3 drink maximum would be pretty challenging...

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger miss goLondon said...

first, give yourself a massive "respect" b/c you have a great percentile on most of those. and you have an up-hill, make that up-Everest battle. why? you live in NYC. it was so hard for me to do what you are doing in Dallas, material crap capital of the South. i am able to actually save money here in london, and it helps so much b/c i am surrounded by people that don't make money,and don't mortgage their soul on a visa. it is about what is around you, the pressure to spend for a reason. work on fighting the pressure, and you won't spend so much. maybe? just remember, you are saving for a london/paris trip!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

miss golondon...you have no idea how right on the money you are!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger ETP said...

You go, girl!

A bit trite, I know.

The 3 drink max is easy for me here on the prairie, as (a) I'm not that heavy, and (b) I'm often driving.

But when I'm in Paris, where I lived for a couple of years, all bet's are off. Just there for about 12 days and I probably averaged 3 drinks a night.

Hmm, no. It must have been higher.

C'est la vie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home