Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Hello From 'The Nasty Natty'

As I write this post, I’m sitting atop the Hilton Hotel in Cincinnati decompressing from client overload. I have about an hour to kill before heading off to dinner at a “trendy” Cincy restaurant which will undoubtedly be a magnificent experience in gastronomic delicacies of the Ohio River valley. Furthermore, it will be free.

Aside from work, which has been running my life in a truly pathetic way for the last two weeks, being in a place other than New York City for a few days has secretly been a pleasure. It’s always nice to be removed from the hustle & bustle, the overly irritated populace, and the attitude that slowly develops in one’s brain when they are immersed in the life of a New Yorker.

When I first moved to the city, I loved all of the things that made New York, New York. Don’t get me wrong…I still love very bit of it. It has everything that a small town in the Midwest isn’t. Culture. Different kinds of people. More than two decent restaurants, both of which are not the Olive Garden or Applebees. We live it, love it and – sometimes – become it. Despite the good things, it’s getting away from it all that reminds me that on occasion I need to check the ‘tude as soon as the airplane door as been cross-checked and secured.

Cincy may not be a choice destination, but it’s still really nice that the pace of life is slower here (even though I am in the state that allowed for Dubya the sequel). People can stop and take a deep breath. Have longer conversations. Sit for two cups of coffee instead of one. Smile more often.

There is something about being in a “smaller town” that reminds myself to stay true to who I am. Not that I instantly transform into a different Elle as soon as I land at LaGuardia, it’s just that being pulled out of the normal elements and put into a place that has some semblance of my upbringing drives home the notion that I need to keep life in perspective.

I’m of course excited to get back to my tiny apartment (I am on a business trip after all) on the UWS, however it is quite nice to take a step back every now and then, look at things from a distance and then head back home with a little more sanity and sense of grounding.

2 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger AWE said...

I resent that, we have 3 restaurants. You forgot Red Lobster. ;-)

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Kiki said...

i just came upon your blog. love it! i so agree with everything you said...

Viva NY (after you get a break every now and then) :)

kiki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home