Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Un-Valentine's Day

sin·gle (sing-gul)
adj.
  1. Unmarried.
  2. Lacking a partner: a single parent.
  3. Relating to the unmarried state: enjoys the single life.
  4. Of or relating to celibacy...yep, celibacy.

Looking at that definition, I can live with one through three, but four…it’s that damn number four that makes all of us single lepers hate today. I actually woke up this morning and forgot today was Valentine’s Day, but alas, I arrived at work to flowers, chocolates and valentines…for other people.

I personally think that modern Valentine's Day was created by some shrewd PR people over at Hallmark, therefore I loathe the day on sheer principle. Furthermore, in my 26 years of existence, I’ve had a man around for exactly three V-Days, and most of them have been hyped up and over-rated.

Looking back on said three days, I distinctly recall wanting to stay in, cook dinner and watch movies, but I was convinced to go out and become part of the sheepish following for cupid. Every time turned out to be an overly fake attempt at a display of affection that none of the men I was with at the time could truly convey even if he was paid a bagillion dollars…clearly another indication for why I’m still *gulp* single (aka: seemingly celibate).

In my personal opinion, V-Day is the perfect day for a good old-fashioned GNO (girls night out) for all of my single friends. This is where the good times roll people.

A GNO on Valentine’s Day not only is a great way for us spinsters to get together and make fun of all the happy people while telling ourselves how fabulous we are (call it self-preservation), but it is also a great time to scope out all the men out on the town who are likely single too, reducing the number of ineligibles that have to be sorted through before the end of the night. I can recall a couple of these nights where I’ve managed to – at the very least – have a decent conversation with someone that is unattached and looking, which in my book is a valid effort for non-celibacy.

So I’d like to re-name February 14th "Un-Valentine’s Day." In the name of singles every where (and my need to remain optimistic on a day filled with chocolates that I can’t touch) – make today about changing the meaning of the word "single."

6 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger The Team said...

So does this mean that you are up for Anti-Valentine drinks tonight? If I can roll my accidental v-day date over, perhaps we chould grab a post-work cocktail and avoid all use of the word Valentine.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger The Team said...

Should clarifymy use of "roll over" in referring to my accidental date...

I mean "roll over" like 401K, or "roll over" 2005's remaining vacation time to 2006...

Not "roll over" as in fat guy in my bed....

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

HAHAHAHA! Snob...I'll be calling you....will be downtown anyway ;-)

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Debi said...

Happy Un-Vday!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

Haha, Snob is cracking me up!

Happy Un-VDay!

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Irish Wanderer said...

Takin a minute in Ireland to laugh at snob's comment....i had vision's of a trapped arm before you hastily (3 mins) corrected the slip...;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home