Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bryant Park Newcomer: Cabela's

A slight tangent before I go into detail on day two of my fabulous weekend...

I’d like to point out an article that I missed over the weekend from the Sunday Style section in the Times…Camo is apparently rocking Fifth Avenue.

Being the daughter of a taxidermist* and from a part of the country where hunting is a religion, I never in a million years would have anticipated that my dad’s hunting attire would become a fashion trend…much less during fashion week.

I can perhaps handle a pair of camo pants or a simple t-shirt (not for myself of course, but for others), or maybe even the little doggie jacket that they picture (it is sorta cute), but in no way shape or form do I think wearing a 3-D, leaf-adorned parka on the streets of New York is acceptable. OK…maaaybe if you’re a tourist, I’ll let it slide.

I wonder if the people pictured in the Times had any idea that the camo print they chose actually implies hunting different animals? I can see their thought process now:
“Hmm, do I want to look like I’m going out on the town today hunting for deer or turkey? I wonder if this waterfowl print will be too much if I just happen to walk down by the Hudson?”
Seriously people. I highly doubt Cabela’s will be having a show under the big white tents anytime in the foreseeable future, so stick with the usual suspects and keep the camouflage camouflaged.

*For those of you who have no clue what this is, here is the proper definition:

Taxidermy is a general term describing the many methods of reproducing a life-like three-dimensional representation of an animal for permanent display.

6 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Camo is back in fashion?? NOOO!!
I don't think it's back I just think a group of people in NY are going nuts!
Like I remember wearing camo pants in high school, but then... I stopped when I realised how hideous they were... and soo unladylike!!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger east side girl said...

The fabulous leaf-adorned parka was a staple of any man's wardrobe where I grew up. You could find large men rocking the leafy parka look at the local breakfast joint, the local supermarket, the local video store.

Scary thought: what if the leafy parka replaces the ever-popular puffer coat on the streets of Manhattan?

Which would be worse?

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger AWE said...

I never thought about the PETA people wearing camo.

My brother went to NYC and he wore camo, I told him to carry his gun with him. There is no way I would have put it on, I hated to speak when I was there everyone knew I was from the south when I said Hi, much less have on camo.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How funny is it that I can walk out of my office right now and see camo everywhere and it's on a daily basis and you are seeing it in NYC during fashion week...?
I don't understand the full body suits that are all leafy and very marsh like. very scary!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Hmm...not sure which would be more cliche...puffer or leafy parka...But I'd probably have to stick with leafy parka.

I mean, it's just the sheer rediculousness of seeing them in a city where trees only exist in man-made parks...

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger miss goLondon said...

Please let Kate Moss not import this horrid trend. Strange how my emotional memory of camo is a blend of 1980s school memories, listening to duran duran on bus and hoping to get asked to play truthordare, and having extreme embarrasment that half my dad's wardrobe was necessarily camo due to hunting lifestyle; the shame being excacerbated by not being able to eat beef like normal kids since reared on venison and quail! not only do i know what taxidermy is, your dad's work is probably in our home. but just remember, fashion survives on trends but style supercedes fashion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home