Monday, February 13, 2006

Digging Out

I usually don’t mind getting pounded with two feet of snow. In fact it sort of brings back the nostalgic memories of my childhood treks to the bus stop in the morning. Of course now, I choose to stay inside, enjoy the scenery from the comfort of my tiny shoebox of a living room, and watch movies - which is precisely what I did all day yesterday.

In some cases, however, snow is not welcome - especially when I have plans and live in a city where walking is essential. Case in point, Saturday night. I was all jazzed about a friend’s birthday party, but my enthusiasm was depleted as soon as I saw the snow start to come down heavily during dinner. Given that the party was on the LES and I knew I had to find a cab to the opposite end of the universe at the end of the night, and I was a bit worried as the night raged on.

We danced. We drank. We found a new favorite bar. When I finally left at 2:30am, my fears were realized. I could not get a cab for the life of me. My friend and I started to trudge through the snow to every avenue and crosstown street that we could imagine would have a good chance for uptown/west-bound traffic, however…nada. Niente. Zip.

We continued to walk, and walk, and walk. Snow was crusted to my scarf and the bottoms of my jeans. Mascara was starting to collect under my eyes, ruling out any chance of stopping into another bar to “warm up.” As we approached Cooper Square, the heel on my boot snapped off. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Long story short, I walked on my tiptoes all the way to the West side and had to take the subway home at 3 in the morning. Thank god there were other weary travelers onboard and not just the crazies. I got home and passed out from exhaustion only to wake up and firmly decide that I was going to sit on my ass for the duration of the day.

Relaxing did help to replenish my dampened spirits, but the storm certainly put a freeze on my weekend fun. Boo.

1 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger AWE said...

I can't imagine the snow that you had. Glad to hear you made it back OK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home