Friday, December 01, 2006

MASH This…

M-A-S-H. At the ripe age of 14, these four letters meant everything. With one simple stroke of the pen, hopes and dreams would be wiped out of existence. It was your future. It was destiny. It was MASH!

You all know what I’m talking about. M-A-S-H. Would you end up in a mansion, apartment, shack or house? Who would your prince charming be? What does your wedding ring look like? What job do you have? How much sex will you and your husband have?

It’s a game we all played in our spiral notebooks while sitting at the back of math class. Instead of staring off into space or busting our brains over how to decipher the Pythagorean Theorem, we played MASH. Even though we sometimes ended up crushed at the outcomes, it still was such great fun back then…

…and it’s still great fun now.

Last night, while cracking open our fourth bottle of red, Downtown, myself and two other gal pals dug out a spiral notebook and put the proverbial wheels into motion for our futures (aka: thirties) to be determined for us by virtue of slash marks.

I almost bust a gut over the outcomes.

I have to say, my destiny was probably the most harmless. I married the man of my (current) dreams in London, live in New York working as a writer (with no kids to speak of) and even have a giant canary diamond on my finger to boot. The downfall…I live in a shack. Ha! Not that this scenario is too far from the present truth of course.

The hostess ended up with a cliché (but lovely) east coast destiny: married a hot surgeon, lives in Connecticut working as a florist…yadda yadda yadda…

The best part was Downtown’s destiny. You know the rule that each category has to have one bad option? Well, poor Downtown’s pen stroke circled all the doozies…

She married the a-sexual guy which was fitting because he turned out to play for the other team. Somehow they ended up with one child – a fine boy named Hamish. It was a good thing she got to honeymoon in the Greek Isles and travel lots due to her job as a professional figure skater because the happy family was stuck living in a dung hut...it's a good thing we were limited to 7 categories.

Maybe the Barbera made it all funnier, but all I know is that I’m glad I’m grown up enough not to be crushed over my MASH destiny.

Even though it's all a childhood game, I have to wonder if my MASH destiny back from the math class days of yore was even close to my current scenario…after all, hindsight is known to be a bitch.

2 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Elle! This is SOOOO funny!

I didn't know you knew Downtown in person :) Awww my two favorite NYC bloggers are friends! Makes sense as you are both fabulous!

(formerly Irish Red)

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger NotCarrie said...

MASH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home