Monday, March 05, 2007

Being Non-Serious

As someone who is highly driven and ambitious, I certainly can attest to the notion that I sometimes take myself too seriously. And given that reality, sometimes it’s nice to plunge oneself into a situation that is anything but serious. My Saturday was just this…a reversion back to my collegiate days. And when I think of a typical unserious day from college, it usually started with an unnecessary trip to the mall, followed by hours and hours of day drinking. My unserious day wasn’t too far off…

I normally wouldn’t go to a mall, but this time my job required it. So I spent my morning – in Long Island - “monitoring” an event that was going on at the mall, combined with lots and lots of window shopping. Let me tell you, there is something about shopping without a list that is just glorious. I leisurely mozzied in and out of every store I had an inkling to hit. Proceeded to load my arms full of everything I wanted to try on, and then spent hours trying on, discarding, trying on, pondering…It was pointless and lovely.

When it was time to leave the mall, I felt a slight tinge of cliché when my Towncar pulled up outside of Dick’s Sporting Goods, however I was happy to have a company-sponsored ride.

When I arrived back in the City, a friend of mine called to tell me we were going to the infamous Hoboken St. Patty’s day celebration. Glad I still had car-service, I picked her up and promptly headed to New Jersey.

I like to call Hoboken “post-college America,” as it’s a location in the NYC area that most post-graduates can afford. To boot, residents all seem to continue their borderline-immature behavior despite being a working member of corporate America. So it was no surprise when we drove into town, all we could see was green, saddled with sightings of empty Silo cups blowing in the wind, staggering 22-year olds and long lines outside of every pub.

Again, all seriousness stopped in its tracks as I put on my college drinking cap. After all, one must be mentally prepared to partake in such activities in their late twenties.


We went to party after party. Drank light beer out of a kegerator. Earned our St. Patty’s Day beads. Flirted with 24-year olds wearing Abercombie. I knew the day was completely ridiculous when - at the last house party - I saw a pregnant woman playing beer-pong, followed by the party being “busted” for noise violations. We decided it was time to elevate ourselves to the post-21 crowd and go to a bar.

After more beer, a dinner of corned beef on rye with fries (!) and a few more beers, my gal-pal and I decided we had had enough. We said our farewells to the group and headed back to the city.

In retrospect, the day was super fun. Normally, my serious self would be doing “unserious adult” things like drinking coffee, seeing a film at the Angelika, getting a mani & pedi followed by a glass or two of wine. I’d most likely balk at the idea of drinking light beer in Hoboken, however it was great to be reminded that adult fun doesn’t need to fit into a little box of appropriateness. It was refreshing, different and grounding. And yes, it helped to have a Towncar to make the travels lighter!

1 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Single guy blogging said...

Sure does sound fun to let the hair down for a weekend and party w/ the college crowd! :) Nothing can make one enjoy their adult status more than an occasional romp w/ the hoboken light beer drinking youngins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home