Wednesday, February 21, 2007

On Money & Trees

I’ve been doing quite a bit of pondering about my job as of late. Seems that this “pondering” is on an annual cycle, as it’s that time of year when us PR plebes spend most of our waking hours catching up on the slacking we did before the holidays. Hence, it’s always this time of year that I start to hate my job and start considering my options…

In all honesty here, I don’t hate my job. Not even close in fact. My problem really lies in that I’m burned out, unmotivated and bored out of my mind. I want something more exciting. I want something more relatable to me. I want to be challenged in new ways.

(How noble of me…)

After all this pondering about job offers, lists of pros and cons, consultations with friends - I must boil this down to the bottom line of bottom lines: Money. Isn’t this why we all go to work in corporate America anyway?

I don’t save lives. I create air. I push products. I schmooze. I make more money for large consumer products companies. I proverbially help plant money trees in the atriums of these companies and get praised for having a creative mind helping to increase their bottom line.

(How American…)

Here lies the selfish question: Why isn’t my bottom line increasing?

To be real here, I don’t want to make any job decisions based on money alone. After all there are thousands of more important things in life than money. Yet, in the world of PR agencies, true earning potential shifts into high gear after about 5 years in the business and I feel that by staying put too long, I'd be missing out.

(It’s about at this point in the post that my moral center chimes in)

One of my beloved mantras is that I want to work to live, not live to work. When indifference towards one’s job (and other opportunities) sets in, isn’t a bigger paycheck the one thing that will afford for more cherished life activities outside of work? And by life activities I mean visits to my family, worldly travels and an apartment of my own away from any anal-retentive/passive-aggressive thirty-something roommates that hate life...or so to speak.

As my mother said, it’s never a bad thing to have opportunity knocking, but when the opportunity knocking is a tree full of dollar bills, it’s time to evaluate how much more that tree can grow before finding a place to plant it.

4 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Downtown said...

Ah, the life long quest for more money... I've told you this before, but see the first chapter of this book "How to Become CEO".

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You said you always fuck on the first date. Get some self-respect.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

John - If you've actually spent the time to actually read my blog, you'll know that this is far from true.

As for the self respect...anyone who bothers to anonomously take a cheap cut at someone on a blog had better take a good hard look at themself.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Downfall of the PR world. Us PR girls never seem to get ahead. Hopefully you will find something that makes you smile and brings in the cash. Wouldn't that be the perfect world?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home