Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A New Series: The Truth Behind the Hairy Debate

I had been thinking about it for awhile. Should I or shouldn’t I take the plunge? It’d mean a different set of rules altogether and would require me to essentially “find myself” all over again…oh the pressure…

After toiling and agonizing, the decision was finally made. I was going to go for it.

(Drumroll….)

I’m now a brunette! (GULP!)

I’m day one into a new hair color and I have to say I do completely love it, but I’m still not quite used to seeing myself with such a different look. Not only do I have a different perception of how I look, but I’m looking forward to a very interesting social experiment.

I've been used to having long golden locks and fair looks. Now that the hair on my head is chestnut in hue, there are features on my face that stand out more than they have my entire life. For example: I now have noticeable eyebrows. It’s a wonder how they just magically appeared. I’ve committed myself to reading every single beauty magazine I can get my hands on to figure out the beauty secrets of brunettes and how the hell to do it right. I figure it may take a few days since when I look in the mirror I still do a double-take.

As for the social experiment, I have to admit that I’m completely self-aware. Probably overly self-aware. On a regular playing field, being constantly aware of oneself could be considered narcissistic, but I have to say it’s near impossible not to pay attention to how people are treating and looking at you when you change a feature as notable as one’s hairstyle. I imagine the same to be true about many drastic beauty alterations like losing weight or plastic surgery.

I also have to consider what Downtown threw out there the other day about
Blondes vs. Brunettes. When I read her post (and before I chatted with her about her perspective), I have to admit I was put off. Having been a blonde my entire life, I’ve never associated how people perceive me directly with my hair color. Perhaps for others this might be the opposite, however not until last night am I aware of this fact.

Therein lies the question: What does perception of hair color mean for a personality? Do blondes really have more fun? Do brunettes get treated with more respect? Who knows, but I will tell you one thing: I AM going to find out!


And by the way, my dear Miss Downtown, I'm throwing down the gauntlet! I believe I quote you correctly...

"Tonight I told Avenue Elle, if she decides to go dark, I'll be in the chair next to her going blonde. We'll perform the ultimate switch-er-roo experiment."
Let me know when your appointment with Donna is!

4 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Clink said...

Welcome to the dark side, Elle! Let us know how it goes.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an exciting change! Can't wait to hear the details of how society treats you differently (if at all).

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Aww! I'll be it looks great, doll! I'll have to go over to downtown to see what she has to say :)

I'm tellin you though and least one of you should go RED!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Downtown said...

So you've been brunette for a bit... What are you thinking? Is the color going to stay or are you crossing back over the blonde side at your next appt?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home