Friday, January 20, 2006

Back In The Game

Welcome to Avenue Elle. After living in New York for four years I can truly say that city life is all it's cracked up to be. I plan for this to be a forum for dramatized episodes of life, love and over-spending. So with that...

I'll begin by saying I am on the rebound. My foreign and lame-ass conversationalist of a boyfriend and I called it quits last summer. Cause of relationship death: he sent me an email. Yep. An email. Didn't think that actually happened to normal people like me, mainly since I thought I could weed out the child-like ones, but no. I'll spare you the details for now, but I've spent the last six months over-analyzing our relationship, figuring why he didn't want me and going through the evil cycle of "He doesn't deserve me any way/I want him back."

After a few epiphanies(sp?), I finally emerged from the post-break up self-pity and realized that I'm finally excited to be single again. I saw myself enjoying meeting new people again, getting all gussied up for a night out with the girls and making lame attempts to catch a guy's gaze from across the room. In short: I'm boy crazy.

So what does a gal do? Join a dating website, of course. It's cliche, embarrassing to admit and a hard pill to swallow for an idealistic gal like me. So I've decided to embark on an odd yet very 'now' method for meeting the next love of my life. I'm still a bit wary of the procedures, but I'll take it one email at a time.

NOTE: This post in no way indicates that I intend to live out the "You've Got Mail-Meg Ryan-Tom Hanks" fantasy. Quite the contrary. I think said movie is overly cheesy, and in no way shape or form would I ever subject myself to a "fairy tale" first-time meeting in Riverside Park.






5 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger ETP said...

Can people actually meet through dating sites? I mean, really?

It hasn't worked for me, but in sort of strange way. I've exchnged messages with women, and then it stops - for no clear reason.

I'm I supposed to ask her out with the first message or second? And if not, forget it?

So, hey, if you have any insight into that, let me know.

Cheers, E

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger NewYorkMoments said...

Hi--thanks for the link :-) You'll have to e-mail me & tell me where in the midwest you're from...

On-line dating is fun if you don't expect to much...

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious -- what made you start your blog? Good luck with your new dating life -- and the blog!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Damn It Anyway said...

Can't wait to read more about you. Plus it's always great to know what the hell you new york women are thinking.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

To answer your question neil, I started my blog mainly because I enjoy writing and I've never been one to keep up with a journal.

Also, I like the idea that there can be a bit of friendly banter in regard to my thoughts...hearing what others think has always been interesting to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home